What a child should wear for their First Communion can vary depending on the parish or diocese, but traditionally, girls wear a white dress and a veil or headpiece, and boys wear a white suit or sports jacket with dress pants. However, it’s important to check with the local parish for specific guidelines on appropriate attire.
Here are some general tips for choosing appropriate clothing for First Communion:
- White is a traditional color: White is a traditional color for First Communion clothing, as it symbolizes purity and innocence.
- Modesty is important: Clothing should be modest and appropriate for a church service. Dresses should cover the shoulders and be knee-length or longer.
- Comfort is key: Children should wear comfortable clothing that allows them to move and participate in the Mass easily. Avoid clothing that is too tight or restrictive.
- Dress shoes are recommended: Dress shoes, such as Mary Jane or ballet flats for girls, and dress shoes or loafers for boys, are recommended.
- Accessories should be minimal: Keep accessories simple and understated, such as a small necklace or bracelet. Avoid large, distracting accessories.
- Consider the weather: If the First Communion Mass is held outdoors or in a non-air-conditioned space, consider the weather and choose appropriate clothing that will keep your child comfortable.
Ultimately, the most important thing is that the clothing is appropriate for the solemnity of the occasion and makes your child feel comfortable and confident.